Pogledaj jedan post
Old 05.09.2009., 23:17   #12
Video interview with Orson Welles

The Internet never ceases to amaze me. Below is an excerpt from an interview with Orson Welles. I've never seen it before today, never even knew of its existence until I started bumping around the web. Two things about the interview. First, Welles reveals that the idea of 'home' is very important to him because as a child, his family moved multiple times, so he never really had what he would call a home. Second, he confesses that his least favorite thing about Citizen Kane was Rosebud -- he calls it a "rather tawdry device."

May I humbly disagree. First, Rosebud serves numerous narrative functions: framing device for the narrative, source of a mystery as well as eventually the key to solving it, the sled and the snow globe powerful visual devices, taking on talismanic significance.

But beyond that, I wonder if Welles is doing a bit of deflection here. In response to the interviewer's question, "Is there anything that came out of that [i.e., Welles' family moving around so much] in the movie," Welles offers a definitive no. But isn't 'home' what Rosebud -- the sled / snow globe -- represents to Kane, that one time and one place where he was truly happy, his youthful winter wonderland, he and his friends, sledding in the snow, only to be yanked out of there by life's sudden turn? And so isn't it fair to think that Welles' desire to have a single place he could call home (he says so point blank in the interview) is reflected in the experience of young Charles Foster Kane? Therefore, Rosebud can be seen to be much more than a "tawdry device," it is precisely the whole point of Kane's existence, constantly attempting in all his life endeavors to find some thing, some place he could call 'home.' Yet he could never satisfy that almost infantile need, which is why it's so riveting to see him wandering the halls of Xanadu on the night of his death, clutching the snow globe, then offering up his final word, "Rosebud."

Watch this fascinating interview and see what you think.

Orson Welles on Citizen Kane and Rosebud

MakingOf:

Aaron Sorkin On Character Development

Nine-time Emmy Award-winner, Aaron Sorkin has delivered notable work as both a writer and producer. Known for such films as The West Wing, The American President and Charlie Wilson’s War, Sorkin took an early interest in acting and spent much of the 1980’s struggling for roles in New York. He quickly found a passion for writing plays, developing into a promising playwright soon thereafter. Film studios took an interest in his hit stage play A Few Good Men, and Castle Rock Entertainment quickly picked up the project, making it his first major film adaptation. Sorkin shares his remarkable insight on creating compelling stories and characters, including his main interest, taking a character from good to great.

Klink

Ron Howard

From his early acting days on The Andy Griffith Show and Happy Days, Ron Howard has become one of today’s most prominent filmmakers and producers in the entertainment industry. Howard has directed an impressive number of films including Splash, Parenthood, Cocoon, Apollo 13, A Beautiful Mind, Cinderella Man, The Da Vinci Code, and Frost/Nixon. Among these films, he won two Oscars for A Beautiful Mind, both for Best Picture and Best Director, 9 Academy Award nominations for Apollo 13, and most recently, a Best Picture Oscar nomination for Frost/Nixon. Howard is also the co-chairman of Imagine Entertainment, which has produced projects such as Friday Night Lights, 8 Mile, Inside Deep Throat, and 24. Howard gives some extraordinary insight into his work as a director and discusses his current project, Angels and Demons, the prequel to the widely popular Da Vinci Code.

Ron Howard on Directing
Odgovori s citatom