Natrag   Forum.hr > Društvo > Društvene znanosti > Jezikoslovlje

Jezikoslovlje Za pravopiždžije i jezikolomce

Odgovor

Tematski alati Opcije prikaza
Old 22.02.2018., 16:18   #621
Quote:
Dilberth kaže: Pogledaj post
@Al dente
OK, let's try to keep the whole sentence in the present tense.

"In what possible context can he come up with something like that?"

Tell me what is wrong with that?
The word order in this example is correct.
he can come (in a declarative or affirmative sentence) > can he come (after an interrogative sentence)

Still, you need to understand how to properly change word order when using tense/mood you used in your original sentence(s). A few more examples, observe the last one:
You can say something else. What else can you say?
You could say something else. What else could you say?
You could have said something else. What else could you have said?

Notice the following about these examples, especially the NOTs:
(1) The word order changes, regardless of the tense/mood
you can (say) > can you (say)?
you could (say) > could you (say)?
you could have (said) > could you have (said)? (NOT you could have?)
(2) The personal pronoun follows the modal verb
you can (say) > can you (say)?
you could (say) > could you (say)?
you could have (said) > could you have (said)? (NOT could have you? / could've you?)

And these examples don't even mention the negation, which adds another layer of complication, so to say. That's one more useful aspect of the French link I gave you, as it shows the proper word order of modal verbs in all situations (affirmation, negation, interrogation and "interro-negation" as they call it).

Check this out too, especially the interrogative:
Affirmative: I would have been living.
Negative: I wouldn't have been living.
Interrogative: Would I have been living? (NOT would have I been / would've I been)
Interrogative negative: Wouldn't I have been living?
https://www.ef.com/english-resources...s-conditional/

English analytic syntax can be tricky, no doubt about it.

Quote:
Rakkatakka kaže: Pogledaj post
I don't see what you're so confused about. It's like you're unwilling to understand, not unable to.

Your most recent example has nothing to do with what Al_dente is saying nor with your original example. He explained it very nicely to you. The problem occurs when you're using a contraction in the wrong place. The contraction is used for the modal + the verb have, which marks the perfect aspect in this instance. If you're asking a question, you simply cannot say "in what possible context he could have come up with something like that?" because it's a question, you NEED to say "in what possible context could he have come up...?" Therefore, you cannot use a contraction, either, because the contraction stands for the incorrect word order. No examples you've provided have anything to do with what others are trying to explain to you. It's all about the word order.

Furthermore, I would suggest you stay away from commenting on other people's spelling when it doesn't affect the meaning, while you're using English "wrong" in so many ways yourself. For example, work on your usage of articles. You don't need to get offended when someone tries to explain something, this is a topic which is made to help people learn. Also, I suggest you use sources to validate your claims. Al_dente has provided really nice websites that explain it all clearly.
Nicely put. Participation in this subforum (Linguistics) and thread (Improve your English) should imply a certain level of willingness to learn and to be corrected.

Zadnje uređivanje Rakkatakka : 22.02.2018. at 16:29. Reason: spajanje postova
Odgovori s citatom
Old 23.02.2018., 00:01   #622
@Al dente & Rakkatakka
I got it, sorry!
Odgovori s citatom
Old 09.05.2018., 16:44   #623
what's the proper expression for vessels [veins] that "jump out" on your hand when it's hot or when you're working something hard?

AQUArium
Odgovori s citatom
Old 10.05.2018., 08:21   #624
Quote:
inflame kaže: Pogledaj post
what's the proper expression for vessels [veins] that "jump out" on your hand when it's hot or when you're working something hard?
Veins popping out seems to be one of the most common expressions for what happens during exercise.
https://www.scientificamerican.com/a...pop-out-when/#
(others: veins sticking out, protruding veins)
Odgovori s citatom
Old 15.05.2018., 00:12   #625
Hello to everyone!

I'm interested to know how hard is to become a professor of English language?

In the second grade of the primary school I started to learn this beautiful language and by the time of high school I developed thoughts on pursuing career in this field.
Old 15.05.2018., 00:45   #626
Quote:
Winston Smith kaže: Pogledaj post
Hello to everyone!

I'm interested to know how hard is to become a professor of English language?

In the second grade of the primary school I started to learn this beautiful language and by the time of high school I developed thoughts on pursuing a career in this field.
You'll need to have a university degree. BA in English language (and literature). That's how it used to be, anyway.
Odgovori s citatom
Old 15.05.2018., 22:29   #627
Quote:
rokolina kaže: Pogledaj post
You'll need to have a university degree. BA in English language (and literature). That's how it used to be, anyway.
In Croatia, after the implementation of the Bologna Process, an MA (mag. philol. angl.) is required; you can't teach with a BA (univ. bacc. philol. angl.). Or do anything useful for that matter.
Odgovori s citatom
Old 16.05.2018., 11:37   #628
Quote:
Eosphoros kaže: Pogledaj post
In Croatia, after the implementation of the Bologna Process, an MA (mag. philol. angl.) is required; you can't teach with a BA (univ. bacc. philol. angl.). Or do anything useful for that matter.
So, does it mean that even a secondary school English teacher needs an MA?
Odgovori s citatom
Old 29.06.2018., 16:17   #629
I need proper translation for : To nije isplativo...

I'm not so sure in Google's suggestion : payable

AQUArium
Odgovori s citatom
Old 29.06.2018., 18:04   #630
Cost-efficient
Odgovori s citatom
Old 30.06.2018., 10:27   #631
Quote:

I think profitable is the word you're looking for.

As for Google Translate, in my experience it's usually best if you try with short sentences, rather than single words. In this case, if you go with the entire sentence "To nije isplativo." you'll get a proper translation that uses the term profitable.
Odgovori s citatom
Old 30.06.2018., 11:20   #632
thanks for the help, and thanks for the tip.

AQUArium
Odgovori s citatom
Old 30.06.2018., 13:25   #633
I’d also consult a good dictionary:

https://www.collinsdictionary.com/di...cost-effective

https://www.collinsdictionary.com/di...ish/profitable
Odgovori s citatom
Old 03.07.2018., 09:47   #634
Quote:

It dosn't pay, like in Crime dosn't pay
Odgovori s citatom
Old 04.07.2018., 22:28   #635
To all those who celebrate, I'd like to congratulate the 4th of July - and I wish the U.S. what Leonard Cohen had wished:
that the democracy finally comes to the U. S. A.!

Democracy

I'm sentimental, if you know what I mean
I love the country but I can't stand the scene
And I'm neither left or right
I'm just staying home tonight...
Old 18.07.2018., 21:04   #636
Quote:
FeetF1 kaže: Pogledaj post
(...) I wish (...) that the democracy finally comes (...)
I think these would be the correct ways to put it, each with its nuance:
-I wish the democracy finally came (wanting change for the present or future)
-I wish the democracy would finally come (complaining, impatience, annoyance and dissatisfaction with the present)
Odgovori s citatom
Old 20.07.2018., 09:16   #637
hello
can somebody help me? what is the best croatian translation of "assistant authentication officer"? (it's a USA document, Department of State)

assistant authentication officer = službenik ureda za autentifikacij?? (zvuči malo glupo) ured za ovjere?
Old 20.07.2018., 13:43   #638
Quote:
*nailla* kaže: Pogledaj post
hello
can somebody help me? what is the best croatian translation of "assistant authentication officer"? (it's a USA document, Department of State)

assistant authentication officer = službenik ureda za autentifikacij?? (zvuči malo glupo) ured za ovjere?
Maybe ured za utvrđivanje izvornosti(ured za izvornost) because there's no ured za ovjere, only javnobiljeznicki ured/notar
Old 21.07.2018., 08:21   #639
Quote:
*nailla* kaže: Pogledaj post
hello

Pomoćnik referenta za ovjeru dokumenata
Odgovori s citatom
Old 06.08.2018., 09:22   #640
Ljudi, jel znate neke stranice gdje se moze uciti engleski? Ali gdje su dobro razradjene lekcije?

Trebala bi za B1 stupanj, s tim da mi govor dosta steka, tako da nisam na nekom zavidnom levelu
Odgovor

Kreni na podforum

Sva vremena su GMT +2. Trenutno vrijeme je: 03:54.