Natrag   Forum.hr > Društvo > Društvene znanosti > Jezikoslovlje

Jezikoslovlje Za pravopiždžije i jezikolomce

Zatvorena tema

Tematski alati Opcije prikaza
Old 06.01.2015., 22:36   #10201
Please click here to learn about false friends.

Jó éjszakát!
"And that is the most important topic on earth: peace. What kind of peace do I mean and what kind of a peace do we seek? Not a Pax Americana enforced on the world by American weapons of war. Not the peace of the grave or the security of the slave. I am talking about genuine peace, the kind of peace that makes life on earth worth living, ..."
Old 06.01.2015., 22:37   #10202
I kind of read between your lines that you were HOPING that Croatian would also help you in those other countries. That actually you would like to learn Croatian because you love Croatia, and were hoping it would also have those other good effects.
(?)

So, I guess now that you have seen that it is not that easy (I must say though that I HAVE kind of communicated with a Slovak person before, me in Croatian and he in Slovakish, but, well... halfway communication some words the same or similar) ok so the question you will have to answer for yourself is: What is more important to you?

Learn the language you would like to learn because you like the place?
Or learn the language that is more practical for you to communicate in other places?
Now, that will also depend on how important it is for you to communicate with people in Slovakia and Poland .

Hope this helps a bit...

Kathrin
Old 06.01.2015., 23:00   #10203
Quote:
slafko kaže: Pogledaj post
Please click here to learn about false friends.

Jó éjszakát!
Oops, what a shame on me :-)
Well we have completely different relationship with the Poles compared with the Slovaks (or with Croats). I had bad experience with it last time when I was in Slovakia when the waiter recognized I'm Hungarian. (Those f.cking politicians on both sides generate the tension between nations.) I thought you were writing about false frineds in this manner.
O.K., I'm not a linguist, but I think we don't have any "false firend", we have only real friends :-)

Jó éjszakát!

A Hungarian Without Any False Friend :-)
Old 06.01.2015., 23:06   #10204
Quote:
Kathrin74 kaže: Pogledaj post
I kind of read between your lines that you were HOPING that Croatian would also help you in those other countries. That actually you would like to learn Croatian because you love Croatia, and were hoping it would also have those other good effects.
(?)

So, I guess now that you have seen that it is not that easy (I must say though that I HAVE kind of communicated with a Slovak person before, me in Croatian and he in Slovakish, but, well... halfway communication some words the same or similar) ok so the question you will have to answer for yourself is: What is more important to you?

Learn the language you would like to learn because you like the place?
Or learn the language that is more practical for you to communicate in other places?
Now, that will also depend on how important it is for you to communicate with people in Slovakia and Poland .

Hope this helps a bit...

Kathrin
Yes, I want to learn a slavic language just for fun and plans to choose Croatian because I like Croatia.
Thank you for sharing your experience, it's unique to read about communication between a german speaking person and a Slovak person in Corato-Slovakian :-)

Gute nacht!
Old 06.01.2015., 23:11   #10205
Quote:
drtorokandras kaže: Pogledaj post
Yes, I want to learn a slavic language just for fun and plans to choose Croatian because I like Croatia.
Thank you for sharing your experience, it's unique to read about communication between a german speaking person and a Slovak person in Corato-Slovakian :-)

Gute nacht!
good night as well and good night to everybody
Old 07.01.2015., 18:22   #10206
Do you use it?

Old 07.01.2015., 21:09   #10207
Quote:
drtorokandras kaže: Pogledaj post
A Hungarian Without Any False Friend :-)
Let me tell you a story about my false friend in the Polish language.

There's a very nasty and profane word in Croatian - kurva. It means whore. Very nasty, right? Now, imagine playing an online cooperative game and have someone yell (type in all caps) at you "KURWA!". Obviously, you're going to take offense because there's no other usage in your native tongue for that word. Your only options in that situation are either to let it slide and ignore the offender or yell something equally profane back at them. Which can happen in the heat of battle when adrenaline is high.

Polish, on the other hand, uses that word very casually and it's their equivalent of the word fuck. They use it in sitations when something goes wrong, e.g. stubbing your toe on a piece of furniture, stepping on a Lego or falling into molten lava. The latter is usually followed with stating the obvious -- "KURWA! I DIEDED LOL" and is a tell-tale sign you've ran into a Polish noob with a sense of humor and poor English skills. They usually have "PL" suffixes attached to their character names too.

So, there you have it -- false friend between Croatian and Polish which can lead to a trollfest and be extremely detrimental to the party's efforts in downing that pesky endboss.
"And that is the most important topic on earth: peace. What kind of peace do I mean and what kind of a peace do we seek? Not a Pax Americana enforced on the world by American weapons of war. Not the peace of the grave or the security of the slave. I am talking about genuine peace, the kind of peace that makes life on earth worth living, ..."

Zadnje uređivanje slafko : 07.01.2015. at 21:15.
Old 11.01.2015., 20:08   #10208
Quote:
slafko kaže: Pogledaj post
Let me tell you a story about my false friend in the Polish language.

There's a very nasty and profane word in Croatian - kurva. It means whore. Very nasty, right? Now, imagine playing an online cooperative game and have someone yell (type in all caps) at you "KURWA!". Obviously, you're going to take offense because there's no other usage in your native tongue for that word. Your only options in that situation are either to let it slide and ignore the offender or yell something equally profane back at them. Which can happen in the heat of battle when adrenaline is high.

Polish, on the other hand, uses that word very casually and it's their equivalent of the word fuck. They use it in sitations when something goes wrong, e.g. stubbing your toe on a piece of furniture, stepping on a Lego or falling into molten lava. The latter is usually followed with stating the obvious -- "KURWA! I DIEDED LOL" and is a tell-tale sign you've ran into a Polish noob with a sense of humor and poor English skills. They usually have "PL" suffixes attached to their character names too.

So, there you have it -- false friend between Croatian and Polish which can lead to a trollfest and be extremely detrimental to the party's efforts in downing that pesky endboss.
Azt a kurva!
You are my real (false) friend!!! :-)

Well, in Hungarian the word "kurva" means absolutely the same as in Croatian. The phrase I used above means something like "what the fuck", so it suggests some kind of surprise (e.g. when you have been shot in a game if it's unexpected).
Conclusion: I don't have to learn ANY slavic language I can swear quite good in Croatia and in Poland in my on language :-)
Old 19.01.2015., 20:12   #10209
Old 20.01.2015., 12:20   #10210
english

Please can somebody recommended tasks for passive with key to check my answers.
Old 20.01.2015., 15:41   #10211
Hello everyone!

Since we've reached 10 000 posts long time ago, it is necessary to move to this thread's follow-up. I've started it, although this one will be left open for another couple of days so you will have enough time to close your discussions. Please, do not start new discussions in this thread, since it will be closed soon.

Thank you for reading this.

Kreni na podforum

Sva vremena su GMT +2. Trenutno vrijeme je: 23:51.