Odgovor

Tematski alati Opcije prikaza
Old 17.03.2015., 23:43   #121
Quote:
goldentip kaže: Pogledaj post
He wasn't in his prime today.
He wasn't in his best mood today.
He wasn't at the top of his form today.

In the above sentences you can also use the present perfect - hasn't been.
When we say that someone is in his/her prime it is most commonly associated with being in the best years of his/her life, that is, at the peak of one's physical, mental, financial etc, abilities.

He wasn't on top form today.
Odgovori s citatom
Old 18.03.2015., 00:25   #122
Thanks guys. This is a pretty interesting topic, at least for me.
Old 18.03.2015., 02:27   #123
Quote:
rokolina kaže: Pogledaj post
When we say that someone is in his/her prime it is most commonly associated with being in the best years of his/her life, that is, at the peak of one's physical, mental, financial etc, abilities.

He wasn't on top form today.
Yes, you're right, but it is used in everyday speech also - I'not in my prime today meaning I'm not on top form today. "Nisam danas u najboljem izdanju" is also a colloquial expression in Croatian, used in everyday speech. You surely wouldn't write to your boss - nisam u najboljem izdanju danas - you wouldn't use it formally.
Odgovori s citatom
Old 18.03.2015., 20:48   #124
Quote:
Yes, you're right, but it is used in everyday speech also - I'not in my prime today meaning I'm not on top form today.
Err..., not really. Being in one's prime lasts longer than a singe day, thankfully.
Odgovori s citatom
Old 18.03.2015., 22:21   #125
Quote:
Err..., not really. Being in one's prime lasts longer than a singe day, thankfully.
agreed
Odgovori s citatom
Old 18.03.2015., 23:25   #126
Quote:
... a singe day, ...
Sorry, it was meant to be single, of course.
Odgovori s citatom
Old 19.03.2015., 01:31   #127
This is a response I got from a native speaker (UK) on wordreference forum:

'In my prime' to mean 'in top form' sounds fine to me, Marko, provided you're thinking of a longer period, as vincix has indicated. There's usually one prime period in a person's life. 'At the top of my form' doesn't sound idiomatic to me; I would say that I was in top form.

Do you know the novel The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie by Muriel Spark? Miss Brodie considers this the period of her life when she was most productive or most influential. She wasn't thinking about being in top form physically.
Odgovori s citatom
Old 19.03.2015., 13:12   #128
Quote:
This is a response I got from a native speaker (UK) on wordreference forum:

'In my prime' to mean 'in top form' sounds fine to me, Marko, provided you're thinking of a longer period, as vincix has indicated. There's usually one prime period in a person's life. 'At the top of my form' doesn't sound idiomatic to me; I would say that I was in top form.

Do you know the novel The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie by Muriel Spark? Miss Brodie considers this the period of her life when she was most productive or most influential. She wasn't thinking about being in top form physically.
And how does the above differ from what I had written?

Quote:
Quote:
Being in one's prime lasts longer than a single day, thankfully.
Odgovori s citatom
Old 19.03.2015., 15:00   #129
[QUOTE=rokolina;53619750]And how does the above differ from what I had written?

It doesn't differ. It is a confirmation from a native speaker.
Odgovori s citatom
Old 20.03.2015., 05:55   #130
Quote:
And how does the above differ from what I had written?

admiring from a distance.
for the patience and the rest.
Odgovori s citatom
Old 20.03.2015., 22:22   #131
Is it worse to piss your drink - or to drink your piss?
Old 21.03.2015., 10:31   #132
Quote:
FeetF1 kaže: Pogledaj post
Is it worse to piss your drink - or to drink your piss?
Hahaha. Well, drinking your piss is most definitely worse.
Odgovori s citatom
Old 21.03.2015., 11:59   #133
Hi guys could somebody explain me possible uses and translations of the word "keen"? Thx
Old 21.03.2015., 18:56   #134
Quote:
jobbrecht kaže: Pogledaj post
Hi guys could somebody explain me possible uses and translations of the word "keen"? Thx
It can mean various things:

http://www.eudict.com/?lang=engcro&word=keen

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/keen
Old 22.03.2015., 12:38   #135
Quote:
sunshinestar kaže: Pogledaj post
Croatian won't help you ordering food in Poland.
The names of the basic food like milk, potatoes, tomatoes and so on... are in the most cases very similar (proto-Slavic roots), but for cousin it is not the case... there was obviously split between Poles and Croats before our present cousine customs are made.
We have more similar cosine names with Hungarian and surprisingly with Romania than to Polish and Slovakian.

This is the most similar language to Hungarian:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QddPWzD_alk
I asked my Hungarian friend and he didn't understund even a word
So, all the Slavic languages are more similar to each other than this language is similar to Hungarian.
Probably even Baltic languages are more similar to Croatian than Hungarian and Mansi.

And SLavic languages are more similar to each other than German and English.

We can understand Slovak and Czech more easily in the written form; because the similarity of the words are more recognizable, and we use very similar letters and the rules of writting are very similar.
But Poles have very different writing sistem, they have lot of letters we don't have and different rules of spelling

Same like Croats and Serbs

Which language did you speak?
Every language has specific pronunciation, so native speakers are usually easily recognizable when they speak some foreign language.
So you will have problems hiding it even if you speak Croatian in Slovakia.
Maybe in the USA nobody would recognize you are Hungarian, because they don't know Hungarians, but in Slovakia it is different case.
Like we recognize Slovenians, Italians, Germans or Turks when they speak English.

there is no point of learn Croatian if you want to use it in Slovakia and Poland.
Like there is no point of learning Spanish if you want better communication in Philippines, just because you like Portugal or/and Portuguese people.

And I doubt about learning Slovak or Polish will help you to hide your Hungarian nationality.

Kurva/kurwa is not a false friend in Polish and Croatian. They are synonyms. Like in Croatian and Hungarian.
The meaning is whore in all there languages.
But Hungarians use this word more, in different contexts, and Poles even more
SO, the meaning is whore in polish.
Usually in the ENglish texts they translate the meaning of kurwa in wrong way. It is not "fuck". It can be translated in some contexts like fuck, or shitk, or what a fuck, or fuck it, or god dammit, or motherfucker, or yo,or just skip it, when Poles use kurwa in stead of comma in the sentence. Some Poles do it. .
But the basic meaning is still whore.

Smae like suka in Russian, Ukrainian and Hungarian.

SO, kurwa can be translated in Croatian like jebote, jebi ga, u p... m...., eh, ah, not just kurva .

The real false friend of Serbo-Croatian/Macedonian/Bulgarian/Polish/Hungarian/Slovenian kurva/kurwa/kurba is Italian curva, which is pronaunced complitly the same like in Croatan and Polish, but it means curvation .

So fale friend between Polish and Croatian are not so common (like in Croatian and Slovenian for example) and they are not the problem.
The problem is that Croatian and Polish & Slovak have different grammar endings/changes of the word, different pronunciation and accents, so even the word are similar to some extent, it is hardly recognizable, even for native speakers.
And maybe the most important to you; you won't be able to hide that you are Hungarian to Slovaks even if you speak Croatian, like you can't hide it when you speak English or German.

And about swearing words in Croatia, Bosnia, Montenegro and Serbia; we are very creative about that; there are numerous swearing words and even more combination you can even imagine. And we occasionally create some individually. Just don't try to translate it.
Dear Sunshinestar! Thank you and all others for the information about slavic languages. It was instructive.
Odgovori s citatom
Old 22.03.2015., 23:04   #136
Quote:
jobbrecht kaže: Pogledaj post
Hi guys could somebody explain me possibleaed me yet, and he s uses and translations of the word "keen"? Thx
It is now most commonly used in contexts such as:
I love ice-cream but I am not too keen on chocolate flavour.
Or:That guy I met at the party last week, he was very keen to meet up again.

Meaning eager (to do something), enthusiastic (about something),
Odgovori s citatom
Old 23.03.2015., 00:16   #137
thx
Old 23.03.2015., 04:27   #138
The idiom - keen on someone or something and keen about someone or something - is more widely used in the British English than in the American English.

http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-19670686

Also overheard in the US...

Do the washing up - British for "wash the dishes"
Keen on/ keen to - a British way of saying "to like" or "be eager to"
Barman - bartender
Bit - as in "the best bit" of a film... Americans would usually say "part"
To book (eg a hotel) - Americans would say "reserve"
Called Joe - Americans say "named" Joe
To move house - a British way of saying "to move"
Odgovori s citatom
Old 23.03.2015., 06:42   #139
Quote:
Barman - bartender
Not politically correct, but let it be said that the biggest difference -- as far as I'm concerned --- is barmaids in Old Blighty. In the US of A (as a rule) you don't get barmaids, just bartenders. Beer is so much less tasty and frothy when it's poured by a bartender rather than a shapely barmaid.
Odgovori s citatom
Old 26.03.2015., 23:09   #140
Last night i've been hitting my haid against the wall trying to figure out how to say in English "Pete će stići do mene prije nego sto pizza bude gotova"

Pete will arrive at my place before the pizza...?
Odgovori s citatom
Odgovor

Kreni na podforum

Sva vremena su GMT +2. Trenutno vrijeme je: 18:41.