Natrag   Forum.hr > Društvo > Društvene znanosti > Jezikoslovlje

Jezikoslovlje Za pravopiždžije i jezikolomce

Odgovor

Tematski alati Opcije prikaza
Old 08.12.2017., 10:10   #581
The example you gave features direct speech (quoted speech). "You have worked hard and I am increasing your wage by 15% " is still in present tense because, at the time your boss told you that, it was the present.

The "Then years ago my boss called me into his office and said " bolded parts are what suggests the events took place in the past and, as you can see, they are in a past tense. I don't think you can use Present Continuous alone to describe the past.

Past Continuous is used for actions and events that happened in the past (there are rules when to use it but you are probably familiar with those already): "Yesterday someone knocked on my door, but I didn't hear them because I was listening to some music."
Old 10.12.2017., 10:57   #582
Quote:
soundblind kaže: Pogledaj post
The example you gave features direct speech (quoted speech). "You have worked hard and I am increasing your wage by 15% " is still in present tense because, at the time your boss told you that, it was the present.

The "Then years ago my boss called me into his office and said " bolded parts are what suggests the events took place in the past and, as you can see, they are in a past tense. I don't think you can use Present Continuous alone to describe the past.

Past Continuous is used for actions and events that happened in the past (there are rules when to use it but you are probably familiar with those already): "Yesterday someone knocked on my door, but I didn't hear them because I was listening to some music."

Ok, that example of mine may not be the best example to answer the question.
Bur I think I've found a different example which is better suited for "how to use the present tenses to describe the past". I know there are two ways to achieve this; one is to retell the stories like in the example below and the other way I can't remember. This example with a link uses the present simple tense but the PCT can be easily added into the narrative.

Quote:
We also use the present tense to give a dramatic narrative effect:

“The year is 1066. In medieval England people are worried that the king, Harold, is not strong enough to fight off a Norman invasion.”
Telling a Story in English
Odgovori s citatom
Old 11.12.2017., 14:54   #583
you live, you learn...
today I learned that it's ok to say fruits:

Nouns for classes of foodstuff (fruit, meat, cheese, etc.) are usually uncountable, but they take a countable sense when we talk about different varieties (a wide selection of cold meats and cheeses).

uh-oh .. English

AQUArium
Odgovori s citatom
Old 12.12.2017., 12:50   #584
Quote:
inflame kaže: Pogledaj post
you live, you learn...
today I learned that it's ok to say fruits:

Nouns for classes of foodstuff (fruit, meat, cheese, etc.) are usually uncountable, but they take a countable sense when we talk about different varieties (a wide selection of cold meats and cheeses).

uh-oh .. English
Yes, that is a special case where noncount nouns are used in a count sense when you want to classify them. Those nouns describe foods as you mentioned and beverages and now the noun homework can take countable sense.

For example:
I prefer Croatian Walnut Swirl breads to Italian Pane Di Casa ones.
Scottish beers rate as the world strongest.
Jimmy you haven't submitted two science homeworks from the last week
Odgovori s citatom
Old 19.12.2017., 06:49   #585
You live, you learn…

Today I learned something that I will (shall) ask the lurkers to think:

The muscle car that took my interest is Roadster.

Are any rules of tense agreement wrong?
Odgovori s citatom
Old 28.12.2017., 18:45   #586
...that will dramatically improve the workflow in your office by offering full finishing capabilities to boot.

Može mi netko molim vas ovo prevest na hrvatski (ali ne zdravoseljački)?
Odgovori s citatom
Old 28.12.2017., 22:20   #587
Quote:
Hooks kaže: Pogledaj post
...that will dramatically improve the workflow in your office by offering full finishing capabilities to boot.
Može mi netko molim vas ovo prevest na hrvatski (ali ne zdravoseljački)?
Što će drastično/značajno poboljšati radnu fluktuaciju/učinkovitost u vašem uredu/tvrtki omogućavajući iskorištavanje punih kapaciteta završnog restarta/star-up-a?
Odgovori s citatom
Old 07.01.2018., 11:33   #588
How to say in English: rastavljanje rijeci na kraju retka?
Danke!
Old 08.01.2018., 00:52   #589
Quote:
FeetF1 kaže: Pogledaj post
How to say in English: rastavljanje rijeci na kraju retka?
Danke!
End-of-line splitting.
Odgovori s citatom
Old 10.01.2018., 14:50   #590
End-of-line splitting.
And how to do that?

You live, you learn….. (given you have a decent life to say you live -not me )

Today I learned that the end-of-line splitting is basically decomposing a word in its syl-la-bles.
For example:
Split your words at the end of a sentience at a syl-
lable.
Odgovori s citatom
Old 12.01.2018., 11:10   #591
Quote:
Transcendent kaže: Pogledaj post
Today I learned that the end-of-line splitting is basically decomposing a word in its syl-la-bles.
For example:
Split your words at the end of a sentience at a syl-
lable.
...using hyphenation.
Odgovori s citatom
Old 13.01.2018., 15:37   #592
Quote:
Emericzy kaže: Pogledaj post
...using hyphenation.
That's right and to add another rule to it - do not split already hyphenated a word.

And while we are at it lets add another easy rule. Do not hyphen a proper noun or a word stating with a capital letter.

There are still more rules for the end of line splitting but Ill leave it for others to improve the answers .

P.S.
Idiots act and do stupid things as today I witnessed an elderly idiot cutting in on the other car to grab a parking spot and a teenage idiot not giving up a seat to an elderly lady on a bus.
There are too many examples to cite here.

The question: Why is the biotic potential of idiots much larger than the one of decent people?
And what's their carrying capacity?
Odgovori s citatom
Old 13.02.2018., 18:35   #593
How does one say in English

Nitko me ne doživljava.

AQUArium
Odgovori s citatom
Old 15.02.2018., 23:40   #594
All posts in this thread should be in English. For a specific language barrier that needs to be discussed in Croatian, there is another thread. Here your questions and comments should be in English only.
Odgovori s citatom
Old 16.02.2018., 19:14   #595
Quote:

Nitko me ne doživljava.
In what context are you using this phrase?
Odgovori s citatom
Old 16.02.2018., 19:17   #596
When you come somewhere, like here on forum, for example, and say something, and people just ignore you.

AQUArium
Odgovori s citatom
Old 16.02.2018., 20:36   #597
Everybody ignore me?
Odgovori s citatom
Old 17.02.2018., 11:10   #598
Quote:
Wikiceha kaže: Pogledaj post
Everybody ignore me?
Is the imperative.

Everyone is ignoring me would be the closest match, I would say. Don't think there is anything remotely similar to "doživljavati" in Croatian in that sense.
Odgovori s citatom
Old 18.02.2018., 01:55   #599
Quote:
Rakkatakka kaže: Pogledaj post
Is the imperative.

Everyone is ignoring me would be the closest match, I would say. Don't think there is anything remotely similar to "doživljavati" in Croatian in that sense.
In some instances "doživjeti", "doživljavati", could be translated as "to experience".

How did you experience your first flight? Kako si doživio svoj prvi let?
Odgovori s citatom
Old 19.02.2018., 12:34   #600
Quote:

Nitko me ne doživljava.
Nobody Takes Me Seriously
Everyone is ignoring me and cutting me off when I speak.

Example:
Why do people always ignore me or cut me off and start talking to someone else?
Either they ignore me altogether or ....
...etc.
Odgovori s citatom
Odgovor

Tematski alati
Opcije prikaza

Kreni na podforum

Sva vremena su GMT +2. Trenutno vrijeme je: 22:05.